Have you heard the news? The Lela Trilogy is getting a complete and total makeover! While some of my readers are super excited because they hadn’t been interested in the original editions and would love to see them updated, others are wary because they loved the OG versions.
BOTH parties have questions!
This post should answer as many of them as I can without giving away any spoilers for the series. I polled my readers, and these are the top questions I’ve received. So let’s get into it!
FIRST OFF, SOME QUICK LINKS:
- The first ebook of the new editions is up for preorder! The release date is currently set for August, but I have high hopes that I’ll be moving it up to late April or early May. You can check out the new series page (and preorder book one) here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PLG35ZM
- If you’re a fan of the originals, you can access the old edition series page here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4FYD4T
Now, onto the questions…
WHEN ARE THE ORIGINAL EDITIONS GETTING UNPUBLISHED?
- The original editions will be unpublished in April 2022 and will no longer be able to be purchased after that. I don’t have an exact date, as it will likely be a process, but I plan on beginning it early April. So if you are a big fan of the first editions but don’t own them yet, be sure to order your copies asap!
WHEN WILL THE NEW EDITIONS BE PUBLISHED?
- As of now, I’m hoping to get all three books in this series published in their new editions April-June 2022. Book One is already up for preorder (see links above)!
WILL I BE ABLE TO BUY THE OLD EDITIONS AFTER APRIL 2022?
- No, since I will be unpublishing the originals, they will no longer be available for purchase after the process is complete. You may be able to find used copies online, however.
I ALREADY OWN THE ORIGINAL EBOOK/AUDIOBOOK. WILL THE NEW EDITIONS AUTOMATICALLY REPLACE IT?
- No, since the new editions will be published as brand new books, they won’t be attached to the originals in any way. If you own the originals in any digital format, they will remain as they are now.
WHAT FORMATS WILL THE NEW EDITIONS BE AVAILABLE IN?
- The new editions will be available in ebook, paperback, hardcover, and audiobook.
WHY ARE YOU REPUBLISHING THIS SERIES WITH NEW EDITIONS IN THE FIRST PLACE?
- The short answer is that these books, in their current state, do not sell very well. One of my biggest goals as a writer is to have my books read and loved by as many people as possible. While this series DOES have a fan base, it is very small. It doesn’t get nearly as much love as my newer works, such as The Fair Isle Trilogy or the Entangled with Fae series. There are many reasons why that is, and now that I’ve been at this a few years, I understand exactly what the problems are AND how I can fix them.
- I’ve learned so much as an author since I first wrote this series. The Lela Trilogy stems from a book I wrote when I was eighteen. I was so attached to it and wanted to change as little as possible from my original vision when I finally published it fifteen years later. I wasn’t willing to budge on certain things that I now know held the story back. Additionally, storytelling and genre expectations changed A LOT over those fifteen years. Because I was so attached to a story that fit in better with a prior decade, this series (the first book in particular) suffered for it. It is not up to par with current popular books in the genre NOR is it as good as my own newer works. That doesn’t mean it’s BAD. Just that it could be better.
- I have a lot of love for this series. It’s hard for me to watch it struggle when my newer books are flourishing, ESPECIALLY when I now have the tools and skills and understanding to make this series live up to its highest potential. So I’m finally giving it the love that it needs.
- The cool thing about being an indie author, is we can have do-overs. We can unpublish older books without breaking publisher contracts and try again with a different approach. And that is exactly what I’m doing with the Lela Trilogy. I KNOW this series can be better. With a little help from a much-needed makeover, it can reach a lot more readers and bring a lot more bookish joy into the world.
WHAT CHANGES WILL YOU BE MAKING IN THE NEW EDITIONS?
- New covers (cover reveals in April!)
- New book titles for all three books (title reveal early January!)
- New series title (series title reveal early January!)
- Significant rewrites of Book One in terms of character motive, story structure, and plot development. Overall story plot will remain relatively the same. More moderate rewrites for books 2 and 3.
- Changing the POV from first person (I walked to the store) to 3rd person (she walked to the store) to better fit genre expectations AND the number of POV characters this series has.
- Some added and/or deleted chapters.
- Stronger world/magic building.
- More emphasis on fae (when I first wrote this series, I thought I was “too cool” to use the term “fae.” LOL.)
- Improved romance; more slow burn; more enemies-to-lovers (I also thought I was “too cool” to write tropey romance back then too. Oh, how silly I was)
- Improved characters, personalities, motive, and backstories.
- Minor character/location name changes.
- Improved style, “voice”, and prose.
WHY ARE YOU CHANGING THE TITLES AND SERIES NAMES?
- Because this series will be seeing such significant changes, I didn’t want there to be any confusion between these new editions and the older ones, particularly so there would be no mixups with retailers sending out the wrong books.
WHY ARE YOU CHANGING THE COVERS? THE ORIGINALS ARE SO PRETTY!
- I am still absolutely enamored with the pretty artwork for this series! The artists I worked with did such incredible jobs. But…pretty art on a cover doesn’t always attract the right readers to a book, especially if it isn’t relevant with current cover trends OR it gives the wrong impression. My current covers scream adult epic fantasy with a nostalgic Lord of the Rings meets the Dragon Riders of Pern feel. Which is great! However, nostalgic adult epic fantasy is not a genre I write in. My genre is Young Adult/New Adult romantic fantasy like The Cruel Prince and Throne of Glass, and the new editions will be more firmly rooted in that genre.
WILL YOU BE ILLUSTRATING THE NEW COVERS YOURSELF LIKE YOUR ENTANGLED WITH FAE SERIES?
- I will not be illustrating the covers for this series myself. I was originally going to, but all my ideas felt lackluster and I wasn’t enjoying the process. But when a writer bestie of mine shared with me a GORGEOUS premade cover that would work PERFECTLY for Book Two in the series, I knew I had to have it! The new covers will be designed by Covers by Combs and will be revealed in April. They will be typography/symbol based like Caraval, The Cruel Prince, and King of Scars.
- I WILL, however, be illustrating my own character art for these books! At this time, I plan to include the character art on the naked hardcover, just like I do for my Entangled with Fae books!
WILL THE AUDIOBOOKS BE CHANGED TOO?
- Yes, the audiobooks will be re-recorded to match the new editions! I’ve been in talks with the original narrator, Emma Faye, who is excited to re-record these books!
WILL YOU HAVE AN OMNIBUS OF THE COMPLETE SERIES?
- I will eventually create an omnibus edition of the complete series, however I have no plans set in stone as for when that will be.
I hope that answers most of your burning questions! Stay tuned for release updates (including title/cover reveals!) by following me on Instagram, signing up for my newsletter, or joining my Facebook Reader Group.